5 rules for freezing fruits and vegetables for the winter
Our grandmothers, harvesting fruits for the winter, made jams from them or preserved them in syrup. Modern housewives were able to freeze vegetables, berries and fruits, while preserving their original taste. All you need is to have a freezer at home and know the rules for freezing. Here we will tell about them in our article.
The benefits of freezing fruits and vegetables
If you still hesitate between canning and freezing, consider the advantages of the latter:
- freeze vegetablesand fruit means to preserve most of their beneficial properties. The cold, in contrast to the heat treatment, which the gifts of fields and gardens undergo during conservation, almost does not destroy the vitamins and trace elements. Pickled cucumbers are pleasant to the taste, but of little use, which cannot be said about frozen ones;
- This method of storage is very economical, since it does not require additional ingredients - sugar, salt, spices, etc.And in winter, frozen foods will not waste the family budget, because you do not have to buy at three times fresh tomatoes, peppers and strawberries;
- freezing does not require special skills, and therefore available to any novice hostess;
- you save time, because the preparation of products for freezing is much faster than their heat treatment and roll-in jars.
As you can see, it is much more profitable to freeze vegetables and fruits than to preserve. And about the duration of storage can not be afraid: at a temperature of -18 ° C, they will retain their qualities for a year.
Types of frost
Today, housewives use two types of freezing:
- shock Washed and dried vegetables and fruits are placed in a freezer with a very low temperature (in modern refrigerators this is the “fast freezing” mode).
The sharp effect of cold does not allow water to turn into large crystals and leaves the crystal lattice of cells intact. Due to this, the color and taste of the products are preserved, as well as 90% of the nutrients contained in them
- dry. Vegetables and fruits are washed, allowed to dry, lay out a thin layer on a board or a dish and put in the freezer.When they become solid, they are packaged in batches in packages and then returned to the freezer.
Thus it is better to freeze the berries. But we do not recommend using it for storing watermelon and lettuce - these products will lose their taste properties.
Whatever method of freezing you use, there are uniform rules that allow you to leave the taste and composition of cryo-vegetables as close as possible to fresh.
The rules of freezing are simple, but their non-observance will lead to the fact that in the end, instead of the sun carrot, red-cheeked tomato and ruddy strawberry, you will get a faded gruel of incomprehensible taste. Therefore, we advise you to adhere to the following recommendations:
- select whole vegetables with intact peels. Do not take broken and slightly rotten - for such a long time will not lie. They may be slightly underripe, but in no case are not overripe, otherwise after defrosting they are at risk of becoming inedible mashed potatoes;
- wash thoroughly and let the vegetables dry. The less water, the better the products will remain;
- peel vegetables from stalks and seeds. We do not advise you to remove the bones from the berries - they will empty the juice and lose their shape;
- If necessary, flush the products.Such processing will destroy microbes and allow fruit and vegetable freezing to be stored longer. The process of blanching is simple: pour water into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Then, turning down the heat, lower the colander with vegetables into it. Blanching time:
|Vegetables||Blanching time, min.|
- sliced julienne
Do not forget to cool the vegetables in ice water and dry them;
- dividing into portions, place tightly in containers (but do not press down and leave some free space on top) and put in the freezer. Since the container takes up a lot of space, some housewives, after freezing, remove products from containers and shift them into plastic bags, tying them in order to block the access of air. He is the enemy of freezing.
Now you have seen: freezing vegetables is a snap. By the way, do not be afraid of power outages. The insulating properties of the freezer allow you to maintain the desired temperature for 5-6 hours.
Secrets of freezing some vegetables and fruits
What canfreeze for the winter? Practically everything, you just need to know the little tricks.
We offer a great way to freeze tomatoes for pizza.Choose a meaty variety with a minimum of liquid, for example, cream. Make a cross-cut, pour in boiling water and remove the skin. Then cut into rings, fold into a dish and send into the freezer.
When the tomatoes are hardened, put them in packets, folding the turret, and leave in the freezer until winter. You do not need to defrost them while cooking pizza, put it straight from the freezer.
The method of freezing cucumbers is identical to how they freeze tomatoes, with the only difference being that they are cut into cubes. Since cucumbers contain a lot of liquid, they still lose some of their taste, therefore we advise you to use them only when cooking okroshka, and not frozen.
Having disassembled into inflorescences, flatten them in water for three minutes, then let them dry and arrange them in batches. We do not recommend putting the whole cabbage in one package. To then take the right amount, you have to defrost the entire contents of the package, and re-freezing is invalid.
Remove the stem and seeds from the pepper. If you use pepper for stew - cut it into 4 slices, if you plan to stuff it - leave it whole, folded with a matryoshka - one to one.Then proceed according to the usual scenario - lay out in batches and put in the freezer.
Don't throw away the seeds, you can make an excellent natural seasoning for the Ajarian khachapuri, just grind in a coffee grinder.
Take dairy peas, free it from the pods, rinse, dry, pack into packets and freeze. If you want it not to stick together, first frost it, spread it out in a thin layer on the board, and then fold it into a bag.
Berries and fruits
Freeze fruitand berries can be just like peas. And you can make a winter billet with sugar. Berries or fruits should be ground with a blender to a state of mashed potatoes, add sugar (in a ratio of not more than 1: 2) and wait for it to completely dissolve. Spread the resulting mass in plastic containers and put in the freezer.
Puree can be made from one type of berries, and you can act on the principle of platter.
On how to freeze vegetables is easy and simple, and most importantly - good for health, see the video: