Chainsaw - how to choose a power tool
The chainsaw has firmly entered our lives and radically changed it. Accessibility, wide choice, functionality make it possible to perform work of any complexity, even at home, by amateur craftsmen. However, when buying any tool you need to pay attention to certain characteristics so that the purchase will not disappoint you.
What are chainsaws?
In order to determine the choice of chainsaws, you first need to understand their varieties.
This is the most primitive type of chainsaws, which, nevertheless, will perfectly cope with common household tasks. If you need to cut down a dried or unwanted tree, prepare firewood for melting the furnace for the winter, cut off the thick branches in the garden, then the lopper will be most welcome here.
Such saws have a minimum of options and low power, but in operation they are quite convenient due to their low weight.
Semi Professional Gasoline Saws
This is the most versatile version of this class of power tools.Their functionality is quite wide: you can safely carry out repair and construction work, cut down trees and do the same woodworking.
The combination of high performance and low cost makes semi-professional gasoline saws very popular among buyers.
Professional gasoline saws
Here the name speaks for itself: modern materials from which the tool is made, a huge potential consisting in a large number of operating hours, strength and high power.
Of course, such saws can not be cheap, but they are able to work absolutely any difficulty, even to use in the process of logging and the activities of public utilities.
Chainsaw selection criteria
Now consider what you need to consider if you decide to buy a chainsaw.
- Purpose.If you need a professional saw, then only proven manufacturers - Stihl, Hunsqvarna, Makita. The market leader today - chainsaws "Shtil". If it is assumed non-intensive use at home, you can consider cheaper options: "Brigadier", "Interskol", "Zenith".It would be desirable to note that the motor-tool is quite capricious, therefore it’s not worth pursuing the low price.
- Based on the purpose of the application is to determine the power of the saw. The more powerful the saw, the larger the cutting diameter it can perform. Power directly affects the dimensions and weight of the saw, that is, the worker gets tired much faster.
- Tire and chain. The length of the tire determines how deep the cut can be. Accordingly, if you do not need to throw down the baobab, the standard, most common tire of 35 mm will suffice. A 40 mm is often sufficient to perform all household tasks.
- Chains for chainsaws have different tooth pitch. The chain pitch directly determines the complexity of the work. Most often on the saws for home use is a chain in increments of 0.325 inches. If the tasks are more complex, take a chain in increments of 3/8 (0.404 inches).
- Protective mechanisms. If you are not a professional, but only a beginner master, it is a good idea to have some protection when using a saw. This is not about the means of protection that you must have when working with the tool - goggles, gloves, and protection implemented on the saw itself. For example, protection against kickback is used for instantaneous emergency stop of the saw during kickback, providing protection to the person.The tool is turned off so as not to cripple the worker, while the rotating chain at the end of the chainsaw encounters an obstacle.
Of course, this is not a complete list of characteristics that need attention. But it sets the correct direction vector, and then you can do it yourself. Do not forget that properly selected saw and compliance with the rules of its operation is the key to successful and long use of the tool.
In more detail about types and the choice of saws in this video: