How to create a crocodile Gena and Cheburashka
The original signature of the photo below was the phrase: “Leonid Schwartzman with his characters in the film“ The Crocodile River Gena ”. Sorry, I thought I knew the Soviet animation well, but I did not see such a cartoon about Crocodile Gena. And did not even hear.
1. This is a photo of 1974:
2. In search of further information, I have loaded some interesting facts.
So, in 1966, Roman Kachanov invited Leonid Schwartzman to his home in a puppet animation. Their first work - “Lost Granddaughter”, after that was “Mitten”. Once Roman Kachanov, he decided to enlist the support of Khrushchev's son-in-law, Aleksey Adzhubey. And asked him to write a script. Ajubey then worked as the editor-in-chief of Komsomolskaya Pravda, visited many countries, traveled to Africa often, and in 1969 wrote the script, Opponents, about African football players and some monsters
Work began on the film, Adzhubey began to go to the studio, and Kachanov - to Adzhubey, who had two small sons.And somehow, on a visit, Kachanov saw that they were reading a book with enthusiasm. It was Ouspensky's "Crocodile and His Friends". The next day, he bought the same book in the store, brought it to Soyuzmultfilm and said: “Everything, we are making a film on it”.
3. Here’s how Leonid Schwartzman talks about the process of creation: “I got a crocodile pretty quickly. It was written in the script: “The crocodile worked at the zoo as a crocodile. And when the workday was over and the bell rang, he would put on his jacket, hat, pick up the phone and go home. ” That was enough for me to have the image of a gentleman with a bow tie and a white shirt front. ”
4. With Shapoklyak, too, everything turned out simple. Cap is, as you know, the name of a folding cylinder. This is the 19th century, and everything else has gone from here - a strict black dress, a jabot, white lace cuffs, and boat shoes with heels. Since she is such a stupid grandmother, Schwartzman made her a long nose, pink cheeks and an outstanding chin. And gray hair and a bun borrowed from his mother-in-law.
5. “Five months is a preparatory period for the film, and half the time I spent with Cheburashka. - Continues Leonid Schwartzman.- His eyes immediately made children, surprised, human. Though large, but not "like an eagle owl." In Ouspensky, in the “preface, which is not necessary to read,” it is said: “When I was little, my parents gave me a toy: a fluffy, shaggy, little one. With big eyes, like an eagle owl. With a round hare head and a small tail, like a bear. " Everything. About big ears not a word.
6. “I started drawing Cheburashka's ears: first, at the top, then they gradually began to crawl and grow. Kachanov regularly came to me, I showed sketches, we discussed them, argued, he expressed his wishes, I redrawn. Thanks to such joint efforts, the final sketch emerged. On it, however, Cheburashka still has a bear tail, which is then greatly reduced. And the legs at first were longer, but Norshtein advised to make them small, as it is now. After creating the sketch in color, I made a drawing, and the master puppeteers made Cheburashka, and he healed with his life. ”
7. Well, what about the "Crocodile River Genes" ... I found another photo that confirms the shooting of this film. Director of films about Cheburashka Roman Kachanov and artists, voicing the role of heroes in the film “The River of the Crocodile Gena” - Klara Rumyanova and Vasily “Holmes” Livanov, 1974:
eight.But there is no more information about him. But if we draw an analogy with the name and the year of the photos, I think that this is just the working title of the cartoon “Shapoklyak” from which the famous song “Blue Wagon” came out.