Savannah (USA): information for tourists, attractions, photo
Savannah is a city in the USA, located insoutheastern area of Georgia. It is the oldest settlement of the state, founded by the English in the first half of the XVIII century. This publication contains all the most interesting information about an unusual city called Savannah (USA).
Interesting facts about the city
- The city of Savannah (USA) was founded by an English expedition headed by James Oglethorpe.
- It is located on the shore of the river of the same name, which flows into the Atlantic Ocean.
- During the Civil War in the US, the city wasthe most important strategic point of the army of the South. At this time, the army of William Sherman entered Savannah, which before that destroyed and burned all the settlements north of Atlanta. A small, but surprisingly beautiful town of Georgia, fascinated the general. William Sherman decided to transfer Savannah to Abraham Lincoln's nationality as a gift for Christmas. Thus, the city was saved from destruction.
- Savannah (USA) has straight streets and spacious rectangular squares. So arrange the city proposed by James Oglethorpe.
- Today Savannah is the most important American port and industrial center.
- The weather in the city is often rainy.
- Savannah is known in every corner of the world! After all, it was in this city that the main character of the film "Forrest Gump" recounted episodes from his life.
How to get there?
If you look at where Savannah (USA) is located onmap, you can see that near it are such cities as Garden City, Pooler, George-Taum. Getting from these places to Savannah is easiest by car.
In addition, the city has an international airport. From here, planes fly to the largest American centers. Savannah Airport receives daily flights from Atlanta (the capital of Georgia), Dallas (Texas), Chicago, Washington, Philadelphia, etc.
The railway service is arranged along the Savannah-New York line.
What to see?
Savannah is a city in the USA, which has something to surpriseeach tourist. This place is of special interest from the point of view of history. After Savannah - the first settlement in the state of Georgia, its former capital. In addition, there are many interesting buildings of the XIX century.
The historical part of the town is located betweenThe coast of the Savannah River and a beautiful park called Forsyth. Here you can see the old city market, the reconstructed Elipse Square with a beautiful fountain and other equally interesting buildings. Today, only the architecture reminds of the historical past of Savannah. This part of the city is now the main entertainment center. There are many restaurants, galleries, art-grounds, and underground parking.
In Savannah, you must visit River Street- the central street and the heart of the city. There are many restaurants and shops with souvenirs. And at the end of the street is the famous sculpture of a waving girl, with whom people like to be photographed.
Attractions of Savannah
- The Talfair Museum of Art is the famousSavannah landmark. The building was erected in 1819. It is located in the historic center of the city. In 2006, a new modern building of the art center was opened here, where every tourist can admire the greatest works of art. The author of the new project was the famous architect Moshe Safdi.
- The historical cemetery of Bonaventure is an unusual place, which is definitely worth a visit.
- The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is the main Catholic shrine in the city. The most beautiful building of the church was erected at the end of the XIX century. The Cathedral of John the Baptist is built in the Gothic style.
- Synagogue Mikve Israel is another interesting shrine. This building is unique in its kind. It is built in the Gothic style, than it differs from many other synagogues.
Savannah (Georgia, USA) - an amazing place where the past is closely intertwined with the modern. This city will impress every traveler with its interesting buildings and beautiful landscapes.
3 things to do in Savannah
- Bypass all the famous square of the city. In Savannah, there are 22. But the most interesting are the Chippewa Square, Chatham, Calhoun, Columbia.
- Take a picture with a sculpture of a waving girl on River Street.
- Go on a night excursion with ghosts.