"Hunting" for the Su-35: the Russian fighter surprises the world
Photos of Marina Lystseva
Ten years ago, the first flight of the super-maneuverable fighter Su-35. On the history of creation, combat potential and why this aircraft is often compared with foreign counterparts.
1. On February 19, 2008, for the first time, the Russian multi-purpose fighter of the 4 ++ generation, the Su-35, flew into the sky. The plane was piloted by honored test pilot of the Russian Federation, Hero of Russia Sergey Bogdan.
2. Serially, the Su-35S began to be produced from 2011 at the Komsomolsk-on-Amur Aviation Plant named after Yu.A. Gagarin, but the armament of the Russian army was adopted only last year. After the baptism of fire in the sky of Syria about the fighter spoke the whole world.
3. It is noteworthy that, under the Su-35 index, since 1992, modifications of the Su-27 were demonstrated at international air shows. The upgraded Su-27M fighters were created by order of the military in the 1980s, and in the 90s their production was discontinued due to lack of funding.
four.The concept of a new multifunctional fighter (behind which the name of the Su-35 was preserved) was finally formed by the mid-2000s. In the new aircraft it was necessary to significantly improve the weapons systems, to make changes to the design of the airframe of the machine and its power plant.
5. By the way, for the idea of creating an information management system (ICS) for modern aircraft last year, a decree in the field of science and technology was awarded to a group of employees of the Sukhoi company by order of the Russian Prime Minister. IUS was originally born in the research on the project of the fifth generation fighter, but the first one was realized precisely on the Su-35.
6. It was created in such a way as to fly and fight in such conditions where the “classic” fighters could no longer fight.
7. "The Thirty-fifth" was a deep modernization of the Su-27 front-line fighter with the aim of significantly increasing the effectiveness of combat use for air, ground and sea targets. According to the developers, the most successful technical solutions, previously tested on aircraft of the Su-27 and Su-30 family, were used in the design of the Su-35.
9.When creating the Su-35, they retreated from the aerodynamic scheme with front horizontal tail (like the Su-33 and Su-30MK) and returned to the classical (Su-27).
10. The airframe design is reinforced, which allowed to increase the maximum take-off weight of the car. This made it possible to significantly increase the stock of fuel (in the internal tanks of the Su-35 carries 11.3 tons against 9.4 on the Su-27).
11. In addition, the fighter can use outboard fuel tanks of 2000 liters each. The combat load remained the same as on the Su-27 - eight tons. The number of suspension units for attaching high-precision missiles and air bombs increased from 10 to 12. Another two - for the placement of EW containers.
12. FLIGHT TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS.
The length of the aircraft is 21.9 m, the wingspan is 14.75 m, the height is 5.9 m. The maximum take-off weight is 34,500 kg, the maximum speed is 2500 km / h, the maximum flight distance without outboard fuel tanks (PTB) 3600 km, with PTB - 4500 km.
13. Practical ceiling - 20 thousand meters. Plane life assigned by the manufacturer - 6 thousand hours or 30 years, engine life - 4 thousand hours.
14. The Su-35 armament includes a whole set of air-to-air and air-to-surface guided missiles, as well as unguided rockets and air bombs of various calibers. The fighter is also equipped with a 30 mm GS-30-1 cannon (ammunition - 150 rounds).
15. The Su-35 is equipped with turbojet engines with an afterburner and a thrust vectoring AL-41F1S controlled in the same plane. However, it does not require any special control systems.
17. The engine 117С is responsible for super-maneuverability.
18. The 117C was developed on the basis of its predecessors, the AL-31F, installed on Su-27 airplanes, but differs from them in increased 14.5 tons (against 12.5), a long service life and reduced fuel consumption.
19. As for the modes of stability and controllability, maneuverability, aerodynamics of the Su-35, as test pilot Sergei Bogdan told in an interview with TASS, here they all passed and comprehended “from and to”.
“But, as for the combat regimes, there are many specifics. I did a lot of them, but not everything was tested. It’s just physically impossible to do everything, because the plane flies at different bases. There are separate modes with which I am familiar not through flights, but only through video materials, ”he admitted.
20. The most important difference between the Su-35 fighter generation “4+” - the presence on board of the fifth-generation avionics. The radar complex with a phased antenna array "Irbis" has unique characteristics for today in terms of target detection (up to 200 km).He is able to simultaneously accompany up to 30 targets and direct missiles at eight of them, while continuing to view the airspace.
“If, say, in the course of an air battle, the enemy is tied up, then at the top point a quick turn around its axis, a search for a target and an instant attack are possible. It is difficult to break away from the rear of the aircraft, and this shows how the Su-35 can get out of position without losing stability and controllability. He performs a 360-degree turn to find a potential enemy and continues his maneuver. "
23. At present, about 70 units have been supplied to the combat units. This year, the Russian Ministry of Defense will receive ten Su-35s. In total, until 2020, 50 units are expected to be delivered. 24 aircraft until 2019 should get China, also recently signed a contract for the supply of 11 fighters of Indonesia ...