What antihistamines are suitable for newborns, infants and older children
Medicine for newborns
Allergic reactions sooner or later manifest themselves in every child, and the little man experiences multiple symptoms. However, such manifestations as secretion of secretions from the nasal passages, tearing, redness, various swelling and rashes make parents spend a sleepless night. It is worth noting that the above signs are not the most dangerous, which can not be said about a bee sting, causing severe swelling and fraught with asphyxiation.
To reduce the effects of allergens on the body of newborns, you can use an antihistamine cream, but only if the reaction is caused by vaccination.
- Suprastin, which is the safest drug for infants;
- Fenistil. It is very effective, but not safe enough;
An excellent solution in the fight against allergic manifestations will be the content in the first-aid kit of various herbal preparations with calendula and chamomile. Also for newborns it is recommended to use furatsilin, but only in the case when a baby has conjunctivitis of the eye.
Four generations of antihistamine drugs
In the conversation raised above, we touched upon a very sensitive topic in which we considered antihistamines for children in the first year of life. However, it is worth noting that today there are four large groups of such medicines. It is necessary to dwell on each, because they all include medicines that are applicable for different age groups.
1st generation antihistamines are used not only for the treatment of allergic reactions in children, but also for the adult population. Medicines begin to act extremely quickly. In the body almost do not stay and are derived from it completely.
Drugs belonging to the 1st generation, easily penetrate through the barrier between the central nervous and circulatory systems. Actually, this is the cause of the manifestation of a sedative effect. The 1st generation of such antihistamines for children:
- Fenistil - is distributed in the form of drops (suitable for babies over 1 month old);
- Dimedrol - is used only after 7 months of a child's life;
- Suprastin - recommended for children over 1 year old;
- Fenkarol - appointed after 3 years;
- Diazolin - can be given to children over two years old;
- Clemastine - recommended only after six years;
- Tavegil is the same age group as in the latter case.
This group includes antihistamines, as you already understood, of the 2nd generation. The main advantage of 2nd generation drugs is the absence of a sedative nature. That is, the 2nd generation does not inhibit the work of the child’s nervous system. It is worth noting that medicines of the 2nd generation, unlike the 1st, have a longer duration, and their use can be limited to only one administration for 24 hours.From the preparations of the 2nd generation it is worth highlighting
- Zyrtec - allowed for children after 6 months in the form of drops and after 6 years - in tablets;
- Claritin - applicable to children from two years old;
- Erius - is available in the form of syrup and is recommended for children over 1 year old. In tablets, the drug is allowed for children after twelve years of age.
It should be noted that antihistamines used to treat children and belonging to the 3rd generation, have the strongest effect and can be present in the body of the child for several days. They are used for long-term treatment and can be prescribed exclusively by a doctor. Among these drugs emit:
- Terfenadine - is produced in the form of a suspension and is used after the age of three, and tablets are discharged to children after six years;
- Astemizol - it is prescribed for the treatment of children who are over 2 years old.
Among the drugs of the new 4th generation, there are only three drugs.It is the 4th generation able to cope with allergic reactions that cause a variety of substances. So, the 4th generation is presented:
- Ksizalom or Levocetirizine;
- Lorddesin or Desloratadine;
- Telfast or Fexofenadine.
Now let's take a closer look at each of the 4th generation drugs and find out if it is applicable to children.
Xisal or levocetirizine
This medicine is distributed under many other trade names. The most popular are Cesera, Glentset and Suprastinex.
The listed 4th generation antihistamines do an excellent job with:
- pollinosis (both year-round and seasonal);
- allergic rhinitis;
- allergic inflammation of the skin: rashes and itching.
These drugs are unacceptable for children who have not yet reached the age of six, as well as in the presence of renal failure or in the case of allergic reactions to any of their components.
This drug also belongs to the 4th generation. May be produced in the form of tablets or syrup. Applicable in case of allergic rhinitis or chronic urticaria.
In the form of syrup, it is approved for use by children who have turned six years old, and tablets are prohibited until the age of twelve. Syrup is dosed based on the age of the child, and tablets - one per day.
Fexofenadine or Telfast
These 4th generation drugs are most common in the treatment of chronic urticaria and allergic rhinitis. On the territory of our country it is released in the dosage: 30, 120 and 180 mg. In Europe, it is still sold in the form of syrup. This is not a medicine that can be used from 2 years. For children it is available not earlier than six years of age.
Any antihistamine drugs can not be used alone, but only after consulting with an allergist.